Travelling, Travel agencies
Leaving Examination Topic #12
- důvody k cestování (+ dojíždění)
- dopravní prostředky a jejich výhody a nevýhody
- cestovní potřeby - při cestě obecně, do zahraničí (3P)
- cestovní kanceláře - zajištění dopravy, ubytování, delegáta, pojištění
- druhy dovolené a druhy cestovních zavazadel
- moje zážitky z cestování
- reasons for travelling: for fun, from necessity (commuting, going shopping), visiting friends and relatives, going to cinemas or theatre, travelling on business or seeing new palces or new lifestyles
- means of transport: car, bus, coach, plane, boat/ship, foot, bike/motorbike
- Water transport: The relatively small cost, you can go by ferry, ocean liner, steamboat, you can take almost as much luggage as you like, you can become sea-sick
- Air transport: It is the fastest and the most expensive mean, it is also comfortable, but you cannot take so much luggage. You can go by plane (Boeing, Concorde – its last flight was on 24th October 2003, Ilyushin etc.) or helicopter (used in the health service, too.
- Rail vehicles: Trains, trams, underground
- Cars: You can go almost anywhere at any time, cars have soft seats and lot of space for legs. If you go by car, you must have a driving licence (you must know how to drive and the traffic rules well - e.g. in our country cars are to be driven on the right side of the road BUT in the U.K. or in Australia on the left side)
- Public transport: The most frequent mean of transport. The network of bus and train stops covers most inhabited places. It is cheaper, but also less comfortable.
Dangers of transport
- Travel is not without risk. The number of victims of car accidents seems to be on the rise all the time. People are being injured and even die in car crashes.
- the reasons of car accidents: heavy traffic, long traffic jams, heavy rush hours, excessive speed, roads in disrepair, reckless driving, careless pedestrians, bad weather, slippery road surfaces, all of these can be dangerous..
- some drivers behave carelessly when overtaking, ignore or overlook road signs, do not give the right of way, drive under the influence of alcohol, fall asleep behind the wheel or use defective cars, particularly with brakes out of order.
- hitchhiking is not without danger either - mainly for women
- the safest is air transport, but there are also some dangers: plane crashes or hijackings (nowadays there exist threat of terrorist attacks)
- shipwrecks and accidents on the railways.
Take care of accommodation, catering, hotel services, transport, insurance and guides - there are main and complementary services:
- basic services:
- complementary services:
- congress services
- guided tours
- cultural services - galleries, theatres, or museums
- sport-recreation services
- money-changing services
- insurance services
- hotels and motels differ in price and comfort, it is better to make a reservation- book a room in advance. You can get bed and breakfast, full board, half board, daily rate, weekly rate
- hotel services: a restaurant, a bar, a hairdresser, beauty salon, swimming pool, sauna, fitness centre, laundry.
A special kind of accommodation for young people are youth hostels or rent a room on your own.
Things that are necessary when travelling abroad - a valid passport, currency (traveller's cheques, credit cards, or cash), insurance and visa (to some countries as the USA, Canada, etc.)